Book Review: ReMade Episode Twelve: Modern History by Carrie Harris

12:49:00 AM

Title: ReMade Episode Twelve: Modern History
Author: Carrie Harris
Pages: 26
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Release Date: 30 November 2016
From Goodreads: "You live. You love. You Die. Now RUN. ReMade is a thrilling sci-fi adventure that will take readers past the boundaries of time, space, and even death.

This is the 12th episode of ReMade, a 15-episode serial from Serial Box Publishing. This episode was written by Carrie Harris.

Cole is what you’d call a “salt of the earth” type. He works hard, loves his girl, and feels best when he’s being useful – which makes being injured particularly frustrating. When the others go off exploring and leave him behind again, he’s finally had enough. With Nevaeh as his accomplice he sets off to find answers of his own, and ends up learning more than he wanted."

Thank you to NetGalley and Serial Box for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for review!

This episode absolutely broke my heart. While it didn't feel like it really fit in with any of the other episodes, I think it was a really humanized episode and readers were able to learn some fairly heartbreaking news about Cole and some interesting news about where (and even when) the group is. I definitely feel that the series has somewhat plateaued and I'm a bit concerned with how the final three episodes will go. There is a lot that can happen, but the past few episodes have felt very slow and I really hope that they will pick up with some action and tie up any loose ends that have been introduced!

Cole is tired of being left behind due to his injured leg, despite him insisting that he feels better. He's ready to get out and explore the new city they've found, and he's not waiting any longer. With Nevaeh in tow, he sets out to find answers about where they are and gets more than he bargained for.

I didn't find myself enjoying this episode as much as some of the earlier ones, but I was definitely sympathetic towards Cole and found myself wanting to give him a big hug by the end. He's certainly a lot stronger than I initially thought, and I hope that he's able to find his niche eventually. Nevaeh, I still don't particularly like, but I don't dislike her either. I feel like I don't exactly know enough to really from an opinion on her, unfortunately. There are certain characters that I prefer and that I feel like I've gotten the chance to know better than Cole and Nevaeh, but I still did enjoy this episode as it mostly focused on Cole. His backstory is adorable and put a smile on my face, although his death is sad, and what he finds out later on in the story is absolutely devastating. It was so hard to watch him be strong and try to act like he didn't know anything, but I understood that he was doing it to not only protect himself, but his group as well.

Something that this episode had me questioning was why were these kids/teenagers chosen? With only three episodes left, I'm starting to hope that we get some answers as to why these specific people have ended up where they are, where and/or when they are, and what their purpose is. There were some semi-answers that were given in this episode, but not enough to fully explain the situation. As I stated before, I feel like the series has reached a plateau, where things aren't happening that either progress or regress the story line. With that feeling in mind, I am hoping that things pick up in a dramatic way in the next episode and that the last episode doesn't end on a huge cliffhanger.

Despite me not necessarily enjoying this episode and feeling rather indifferent about the characters, I did like the writing of Carrie Harris. I was definitely able to sit down and fly through the pages while enjoying what was on them. This author also wrote episode seven, Mourning Train, which had Nevaeh as the narrator, and I had the same feeling of while I didn't necessarily enjoy the character, I did enjoy the writing. I liked that it was descriptive and flowed very nicely, while giving a good but surprisingly sad backstory on Cole. Her appealing writing style really helped me continue on with the episode despite my neutral feelings towards Cole and Nevaeh, and it has gotten me interested in checking out some of her other books!

Modern History provides small answers and small insight into the current situation, but has some very enjoyable writing that will take your emotions on a roller coaster ride from start to finish. With only three episodes to go, I'm insanely nervous about where the plot is headed and just what kind of crazy things are going to happen by the end, but I'm very eager to see everything come to a close! Be sure to pick up ReMade Episode Twelve: Modern History on 30 November 2016 to continue your ReMade series read-a-thon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D