Summer Biannual Bibliothon 2017- Day Four: Book You've Rated 3 Stars or Less

10:04:00 PM


Hi hello and welcome to day four of the Summer Biannual Bibliothon 2017! For those that don't know, the Biannual Bibliothon is held twice a year and is hosted by some pretty amazing ladies from the BookTube community: Kelly, Brittni, Emma, Catriona, Momo, Kassie, and Red! Be sure to go and check out all of their channels as well as the Biannual Bibliothon channel for more information and the video/reading challenges. Today, the blogger challenge is being hosted by Amy from Bursting With Books and it is to talk about a book you've rated three stars or less! Be sure to visit Amy's blog for more about today's challenge if you're interested in participating. Let's get started!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Why did you rate it so low?

I rated this two stars, but I honestly didn't even feel it deserved that. I was so excited to read this book, I really was, but I got 2% in and couldn't continue. 2% in and the pages were filled with graphic self-harm. I just couldn't comfortably continue reading and decided to DNF it.

Is 3 stars low on your rating system?

3 stars is in the middle for my rating system. I was in the middle about this book and could go either way about recommending it. So I liked the book, but could still see flaws, but would possibly recommend it to others.

What could have made your reading experience better?

Definitely not going into such graphic detail about self-harm? It was just too much and I couldn't keep reading, which is disappointing because I really was excited to read this book. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable reading about self-harm and this was just over the top and unnecessary.

Why did you rate it so low?

This was a one star rating for me because it was just (in my opinion) a genuinely bad book. I read it in its entirety and could not find one redeemable quality about it. It was basically a book filled with tropes/ideas/plots taken from other books and it just did not sit well with me at all.


What could have made your reading experience better?

An original story that wasn't filled with plots taken from other popular YA books? Maybe just an original thought in general. My feelings on this are not so positive, but I do have a review up if anyone wants to read more about what I thought.



Why did you rate it so low?

It honestly just did not live up to my expectations, I suppose. I was looking for something completely different and what I read I just didn't enjoy as much as I thought I would. The main characters reactions to literally everything felt so unauthentic (of course I can't accurately say what the reactions of someone who has escaped abduction would be) and not realistic of her situation and I just felt really let down by the overall book.


What could have made your reading experience better?

I honestly don't know. I didn't like any of the characters, the plot was "meh," and the writing felt more like it was telling you what was happening rather than showing or letting you experience it for yourself.


Why did you rate it so low?

Because it felt like this was a book that was making mental illness out to be cute and quirky instead of a serious topic. Also, it severely bothered me that Petula met a boy and was basically cured of her crippling anxiety because his love was strong enough to help her overcome anything. Barf. And no, that's not realistic.

What could have made your reading experience better?

A better representation of mental illness and the author not writing about a character that was "cured" of her illness by love.

Just don't.






Why did you rate it so low?


Poor writing, poor characters, poor plot. It just was not something I could get into, unfortunately. I actually DNF'd this book at 41 pages in and that's abnormal for me because I generally give myself 100 pages to determine if I will like something or not. But this just was not for me.

What could have made your reading experience better?

Better writing, better characters, better plot. It was clear that the author (which was not Zoe Sugg/Zoella) was an adult that was trying way too hard to sound like a teenager and that's just not enjoyable for me as a reader.






Why did you rate it so low?

I actually never posted a review for this book for some reason, but this was definitely a meh book at three stars for me. I LOVED the first book, The Girl in 6E, and sorta enjoyed the sequel, Do Not Disturb, but by this third book I found myself just feeling eh about the whole thing. I love Deanna and her murderous tendencies, but this book felt less like what I had come to love and just a story about a character. I liked it but didn't love it. I am certainly hoping for more books about Deanna, though!

What could have made your reading experience better?

I don't know, but probably just giving it more of a Deanna Madden story feeling? If that makes sense?



_________________________________________________________________________________

So, I know this is more than just one book, but I wanted to talk about a few books because I couldn't seem to pick just one. I liked this challenge because it makes you realize that not all books are winners and that there will be some books that you read that you just don't enjoy as much as others and that's okay. If you got this far, let me know in the comments a book or two that you've rated three stars or less and why. Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you in the next chapter!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I appreciate that you talked about multiple books! I really liked your interpretations of the questions. Yikes about The Suffering Tree- I have an ARC of it and I've been meaning to read it. I will probably just end up skipping over that part to try and read the whole thing. :-/
    I'm really glad you liked this challenge! Your post is fantastic and I loved reading it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan! Just wanted to let you know that you won the day 4 blog challenge! XD https://burstingwithbooks.com/2017/08/09/bibib-winner/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for checking out my post! I'd love to chat, so please feel free to leave a comment :D